[luci] Starting into creating new webpages and modules, at the foot of the learning curve..

Paul dubliner paul.dubliner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:11:50 CET 2009

Hello All -

JoW -

Thanks for your prompt reply on the dev. environment issue -  I have now
moved onto actually running openWRT with LuCi on a target, a Danube
reference design board.

After a couple of hiccups along the way, get everything up and running. I am
very impressed with what has been done to date. The additional features of
splitting between essentials/admin., changing over in languages and themes
are a great leap beyond what typically I have seen on home gateway/routers
to date. I think this is a very exciting project, and  I should wish you
guys Happy Anniversary, as it was only March last year that LuCi was
founded, correct?

I even had a go at adding my own theme - and was successful in doing so, but
fell into the same trap I think a couple of people did before; I was
confused about where to put the theme folder - ended up adding it manually
to the /build_dir/../luci..  although I had updated the Makefile in the
./feeds/ folder.  I did afterwards catch on after reading the forum mail
from August that I should have used the ../feeds/ folder, but I was being
expediant and not patient enough!

I am now looking at adding my own webpages, but have a bit of a learning
curve to travel as I do not know LUA and am not familiar with the UCI. I
have started reading into the HowTos and reviewing the existing code but was
wondering if yourself or others could give me the basic logical steps to
summarise the best approach to develope the following - just looking for a
simple 'step1..step2..', not a rewrite of existing howTo's, to get me
started - what I want to do is :

   - have a new node appear in the navigation menu bar 'Network..System...'
   - the drop down will link to my webpage
   - the webpage will have a <form> with a table of 10 rows
   - each row has a number of different input elements
   - maintain the link for the internationalstions feature

At this stage the application behind the webpage will not have a UCI API -
so am I correct in saying that I can start with a basic HTML webpage,
calling into a LUA module Interface and then need to rewrite this if I want
to go with UCI calls?

Many thanks

Paul