[luci] confused about how to cross-compile luci for ARM system

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 27 14:48:25 CEST 2010

  i'm sure i'm missing something fundamental here but i'm totally
baffled as to how to cross-compile luci for an embedded ARM system i
have sitting here.

  briefly, i have a technologic TS-7260 board, which is running a
hand-rolled 2.4.26 version of linux.  runs fine, networking functions,
etc.  what i mentioned in an earlier note is that i wanted to see
whether luci was an option to put a simple GUI admin interface on it,
and the impression i got was yes.

  i've installed a standard TS toolchain on my dev system and added
the appropriate directory to the search path so that i can now run the
"arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc" command and i can compile trivial C
programs just to verify that the cross-compilation works.  but ... now
what?

  a previous poster suggested that i need to do the luci build,
setting CC and LD to the appropriate cross-compile commands, but i
don't see how that can work since the Makefile hardcodes CC="cc".

  when i'm cross-compiling something for a target, my generic recipe
is:

  * cross-compile generic source on dev system
  * copy appropriate results to target system
  * test

but i'm not at all clear on what i'm supposed to be doing here.  is
what i'm trying even doable?  thanks for any assistance.  if this is
explained on a web page somewhere, a simple link will suffice.  i've
done a lot of cross-compiling in my time, so i don't need a lot of
hand-holding.

rday

--

                        http://crashcourse.ca