[luci] confused about how to cross-compile luci for ARM system

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 27 15:05:45 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Steven Barth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag 27 Juli 2010, 14:48:25 schrieb Robert P. J. Day:
> >
> >   a previous poster suggested that i need to do the luci build,
> > setting CC and LD to the appropriate cross-compile commands, but i
> > don't see how that can work since the Makefile hardcodes CC="cc".

> It's a bit confusing but make overrides these "hardcoded" variables with the
> ones you pass as arguments. This CC=cc is totally fine and only a default
> value.

  quite right, and i should have remembered that.  so, i ran:

$ make CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc LD=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-ld

and got:

... snip ...
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rpjday/luci/svn/trunk/contrib/lar'
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/rpjday/luci/svn/trunk/contrib/luacurses'
mkdir -p dist/usr/lib/lua
arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc  -O2 --std=gnu99 -shared -pedantic \
        -Wall -fPIC -I/usr/include/lua5.1   -o
dist/usr/lib/lua/curses.so src/curses.c src/luacurses.c
src/curses.c:39:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/curses.c:40:
... snip ...

  this suggests that my toolchain doesn't supply the curses header
file(s) necessary to cross-compile luci, at least for the default make
target, is that correct?  so am i trying to build the wrong target?

  my target system does have the libncurses.so.5 library installed so
that much i know is ready to go.  but if my toolchain doesn't come
with curses support, how do i get around that?  or do i?

rday

--

                        http://crashcourse.ca