[luci] server certificate verification with luci/httpclient

Bart Van Der Meerssche bart.vandermeerssche at flukso.net
Thu May 20 19:28:32 CEST 2010

Hello list,

I have a question regarding server certificate verification when using
luci/httpclient. I can successfully connect to our https server with
luci/httpclient configured with the cyassl crypto library. I have
slightly modified the httpclient code to enable server certificate
validation at TLS connection setup time, adding TLSContext:set_cert and
TLSContext:set_verify:

if pr == "https" then
	local tls = options.tls_context or nixio.tls()
-->	tls:set_verify("peer")
-->	tls:set_cert("/etc/nixio/cacert.pem", "pem")
	sock = tls:create(sock)
	local stat, code, error = sock:connect()
	if not stat then
		return stat, code, error
	end
end

However, the TLS handshake never fails, even when commenting-out the
tls:set_cert line. I have recompiled cyassl with the '--enable-debug'
but this doesn't seem to increase the verbosity of the TLS handshake.

Could somebody help me out?
Am I using the TLSContext methods correctly?

Best regards,

Bart Van Der Meerssche