[luci] How to apply UCI changes without manually submitting CBI form

Xin Liang hltx39 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:06:11 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm new to LuCI. I have searched the answer for my question and gone
through the mail list, but can't find one.
So basically the question is: is there any way in LuCI to apply UCI changes
without manually submitting CBI form?
The underlying reason for this question is that I want to simplify the UI
for end-user, applying changes via CBI form sometimes makes the flow
confusing to user.
For example, in the admin-full module, to create a client mode wireless
network, one user needs to go through these pages by do these actions
described as below:
1. Step 1, wireless overview page, click "scan" button;
2. Step 2, wireless join network:scan page, with scan results populated,
click "join network" button;
3. Step 3, wireless join network:setting page, click "submit" button;
4. Step 4, wireless network configuration page, which is the CBI form based
on added network and device, click "Save & Apply" button
Finally changes get committed and applied.

Step 1-3 are expected by normal user experience, but step 4 is somehow
redundant and optional. Actually all the information needed to add new wifi
network has been collected and saved in step 3, step 4 can be skipped.
I don't know how to achieve this goal at this time. Any hints are highly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael