[luci] Proposing for Malay (Not Malayalam) Translation

Benoît Knecht benoit.knecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:21:42 CEST 2010

Hi,

Teow Wai Chet wrote:
> I'm currently a computing student from Australian National University.
> I would like to join in the LuCI translation community by adding
> Malay(different from Malayalam) translation. It seems the "See Docs &
> Help for info on how to get started." on LuCi Translation Portal is
> still not working (http://i18n.luci.subsignal.org/). I'm hoping to get
> some guidance on how I should get started.

Thanks for offering to help. I am myself working on the French
translation, so maybe I can answer some of your questions.

But it depends on whether you intend to use the web interface, or work
on the code directly.

In the first case, someone (not me, I don't have access) has do add the
language to the system. As I've learned here [1], there are many
sublanguages, so if you intend to translate in a specific one, it might
help to know which one.

In the second case, you need to be familiar with the Unix gettext tools.
You'll need a new directory in ./po, and you can initialize the
translation files using 'msginit' and the templates in ./po/templates.
The advantage of working on the code is that you can compile LuCI
yourself and see the strings in context conveniently; if you're not
familiar with those tools however, it's probably best to stick with the
web interface.

Let me know if you need any help, or more specific advice.

---
[1] http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=msa

--
Benoît Knecht