[luci] LuCId daemon explicit garbage collection

Bryan Mayland bmayland at leoninedev.com
Thu Jul 21 17:49:37 CEST 2011

Oh man, I wasn't looking for a patch I just wanted to start a discussion
about what was the right thing to do.

With this change, my instrumentation is showing that each child process
inherits on average 300KB less (380KB vs 680KB) LUA state.  Overall
response times seem unchanged overall.  Serving a call() page that just
returns a short string still takes ~310ms +/-20ms from accept() to data
coming out.

I grabbed a screen capture of a LUA state memory usage graph (shown in
the bright green).  The oscillating pattern is before the change, going
from 470KB to 890KB and the flat part a the end is after the change
where it hovers around 380KB-390KB.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w3cJryIu6IwdcHzdGhWSsmagQEnRdXMcytaEIVOlUv8?feat=directlink

Is this being considered for inclusion in trunk?