[luci] Nixio kill / setgid / setsid - not working

Helen Fornazier helen at wizzilab.com
Mon May 12 10:30:28 CEST 2014

Hi!

I am trying to send a signal to a group of processes but I am having
problems. I never did this, so maybe it is not a LuCI problem, maybe it is
just me that didn't understand how the system works.
I would really appreciate if you could help me.

If a open a lua interpreter A (pid 953) and another lua interpreter B (pid
954) at the same time, and I type on A:

> =nixio.kill(954, 2)
true

Where 954 is the process id of the B program, and 2 is the INT signal, it
works (the process B is interrupted and stops).

But if I set a group id in process B by typing:

*> =nixio.setgid(9999)true*

Where 9999 is a random number, and then I try to send an INT signal to this
group by typing in process A:

*> =nixio.kill(9999,2)nil    3    No such process*

It doesn't work. Then I thought that A and B are not in the same session,
but when I try to start a new session, it fails:

*> =nixio.setsid()nil    1    Operation not permitted*

I am with a Linux OpenWRT on a Raspberry Pi model B.

If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Helen Fornazier