[luci] luci Lua modules

Stephan Hennig sh-list at posteo.net
Sat Jan 16 12:00:06 CET 2016

Am 15.01.2016 um 20:33 schrieb Jo-Philipp Wich:

>> Thanks!  That looks much more ... featureless.  I take that as module
>> luci.lucid is gone without a replacement.  Too bad.
>
> Yeah, it was part of a discontinued server project which didn't receive
> any updates in years - at some point I decided to throw everything away
> which is not in use by core LuCI anymore. However, you can find the old
> daemonize() function at [1] - its pure Lua code built on top of nixio so
> you can easily port it into your project.

Cool!  Will look at that.

Neither did I ever write a daemon in C (or any other language) nor am I
familiar with sophisticated build systems.  So, the prospect of being
able to write a daemon in pure Lua is just great.  (Hope I'm not too
wrong about what daemonize() really does.)

>> Is Lua low-level API support (luci, nixio) fading out?  I mean,
>> whatever (C coded) shell tools there are (uci, iw etc.), for any task
>> requiring more than a handful of code lines shell is in no way a
>> language competitive to Lua.  Any other scripting language in sight
>> that's worth the love of OpenWrt users?
>
> I'm not sure if it will get faded out, the Lua bindings are quite mature
> nowadays

OK.  Seeing the removal of several modules from luci, I was just afraid
there were some plan.

> and common alternatives like Python, Perl or newfangled Node.js
> stuff are waay too big for a huge chunk of the hardware base.

Exactly.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig