[luci] luci Lua modules

Jo-Philipp Wich xm at subsignal.org
Fri Jan 15 20:33:39 CET 2016

Hi Stephan.

> Thanks!  That looks much more ... featureless.  I take that as module
> luci.lucid is gone without a replacement.  Too bad.

Yeah, it was part of a discontinued server project which didn't receive
any updates in years - at some point I decided to throw everything away
which is not in use by core LuCI anymore. However, you can find the old
daemonize() function at [1] - its pure Lua code built on top of nixio so
you can easily port it into your project.

> I've read that OpenWrt's LuCI web interface will be replaced by a
> non-Lua-based one in the future (LuCI2).  What does that mean for
> the Lua scripting language in OpenWrt?

It will probably stay around but not sure if someone will invest work in
porting it beyond version 5.1x - it is unfortunately that the Lua
authors broke compatibility with later releases.

> Is Lua low-level API support (luci, nixio) fading out?  I mean,
> whatever (C coded) shell tools there are (uci, iw etc.), for any task
> requiring more than a handful of code lines shell is in no way a
> language competitive to Lua.  Any other scripting language in sight
> that's worth the love of OpenWrt users?

I'm not sure if it will get faded out, the Lua bindings are quite mature
nowadays and common alternatives like Python, Perl or newfangled Node.js
stuff are waay too big for a huge chunk of the hardware base.

I suppose that Lua will be around for quite a while on OpenWrt, it will
just not be part of the default release.

1:
http://git.openwrt.org/?p=project/luci.git;a=blob;f=libs/lucid/luasrc/lucid.lua;h=38b34fde96b34538846c84d7b5874769e6a95f2e;hb=f32df8f473a8beed56a09bdf25f31028db558b1d#l325

Regards,
Jo-Philipp